Another variation on the traditional piccalilli. The only constant with piccalilli is the turmeric which imparts the distinctive yellow colour.
Ingredients for Tangy Piccalilli:
- 2 lb (900 g) green tomatoes
- 1 large cauliflower
- 1 lb (450 g) shallots
- 2 cucumbers
- 1 lb (450 g) french beans
- 2 pints (1.1 litre) distilled malt (white) vinegar
- ½ oz (12 g) turmeric
- 1 oz (25 g) mustard
- ½ oz (12 g) curry powder
- 8 oz (225 g) brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornflour
Method for Tangy Piccalilli:
- Wash and wipe the tomatoes, cut into quarters.
- Break the cauliflower into sprigs. Wash and drain well.
- Peel the shallots and leave whole.
- Peel, cut and dice the cucumbers.
- Top and tail the French beans and cut into 1″ (2.5 cm) lengths.
- Put all the mixed vegetables into a bowl in alternate layers, with a generous sprinkling of salt and leave overnight.
- Wash thoroughly in cold water and drain well.
- Mix the sugar, curry powder, turmeric, mustard and cornflour into a smooth paste with some of the cold vinegar.
- Heat the remainder of the vinegar in a large pan and pour onto the mixed curry powder etc.
- Return to the pan and heat to just below boiling point.
- Add the drained vegetables and heat without boiling.
- Turn into clean, hot, sterilised jars and cover.
- Label with contents and date when fully cooled.
For More Information on Pickles
Pickles can range from a simple single ingredient pickle to a complex mixed pickle like Piccalilli. The final flavour, especially with the simple pickles, will depend heavily on the vinegar used. See our article on Making Spiced & Flavoured Vinegars,...