Ingredients for Baked Aubergine and Tomato:
- 2 lbs (900 g) aubergines
- 2 lbs (900 g) tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- ½ lb (225 g) mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 or 3 leaves of fresh basil, finely chopped (or ½ teaspoon dried)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper
- More olive oil to sauté the aubergines
- 2 oz (56 g) grated parmesan cheese
Method for Baked Aubergine and Tomato:
- Peel the aubergines and cut into medium size slices. Put on a rack over a baking tray and sprinkle with salt.
- Leave for about an hour to let the bitter juices drain off.
- Rinse the aubergines and wipe dry.
- Heat 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil, add the diced tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper and cook on the hob until the tomatoes have formed a thick sauce.
- Slice the mozzarella cheese.
- Heat a good amount of olive oil in a large frying pan and add the sliced aubergines a few at a time and sauté on both sides. Take from the frying pan with a perforated spoon and drain on kitchen roll.
- Spread a layer of aubergines on the bottom of a deep casserole, sprinkle with parmesan cheese and add a layer of sliced mozzarella and then spread on some of the tomato sauce.
- Continue layering this way until all the ingredients are used up, ending with a top layer of aubergines.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 7 (220°C/400°F) for 30 minutes.
Note: A sprinkling of breadcrumbs over the top before baking goes well..