Ingredients for Squashy Rhubarb Cake:
- 3 oz self raising flour
- 3 oz caster sugar
- 1-2 level teaspoons ground ginger
- 3 oz butter softened
- 2 eggs
For the filling for Squashy Rhubarb Cake:
- 12 oz of rhubarb
- 2 level tablespoons caster sugar
For the crumble topping:
- 3 oz plain flour
- 2 oz butter
- 1 oz caster sugar
Method for Squashy Rhubarb Cake:
- Set oven to 190, line an 8inch cake tin.
- Sift the flour into the bowl and add ginger.
- Add the butter, sugar, and eggs , beat until smooth
- Spoon the mixture into the cake tin and level the surface.
To make filling for Squashy Rhubarb Cake:
- Cut rhubarb into 1 inch pieces and mix with the sugar.
- Spread over the top of the cake mixture.
To make crumble topping:
- Sift plain flour into a bowl.
- Cut the butter into pieces and rub into the flour.
- Stir in the sugar, then press together to form larger pieces.
- Sprinkle over top of rhubarb.
- Bake for 1 and ½ hours or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool slightly in the tin.
Serve as a cake or warm as a pudding with custard.