Ingredients for Vegetable & Red Bean Pilau:
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 150 gm red kidney beans (tinned- drained and well washed)
- 2 tbs sunflower oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves
- 5 green cardamom pods
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 1 medium sized sliced onion
- 1 tsp ginger pulp
- 1 tsp chilli powder (or less if you want it very mild)
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1tsp garlic pulp
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 ttsp ground coriander seeds
- 60 g frozen peas (or fresh)
- 60 g cauliflower florets
- 1 sliced carrot
- 1 sliced courgette – not a massive one!
- 2 tbs low fat or fat free yoghourt
- 2 tbs chopped coriander leaves
- 2 sliced red chillies
- 1 tbs lemon juice
Method for Vegetable & Red Bean Pilau:
- Rinse the rice until the water runs more or less clear. Leave it soaking in water while you get everything else ready.
- Heat oil in a large pan or a wok (one that has a lid). Add whole spices – cinnamon, bay leaf, cloves, cardamom and peppercorns. Fry 1 minute. Add onion and fry for another 2 mins.
- Lower heat and add ginger, garlic, chilli powder, garam masala and ground coriander, followed by the vegetables (not the beans). Stir fry for 2 -3 mins and then stir in the yoghourt.
- Drain the rice and add it with the beans to the pan. Mix well very gently so rice doesn’t break up.
- Add salt to taste (none is fine!) 1 tbs of the coriander leaves, red chillies, lemon juice and 3 cups of water. Cover pan with a lid and turn heat down to lowish. Cook until water is absorbed, without stirring — about 15 mins).
- Let the pilau rest for about 5 mins off the heat, then garnish with the rest of the coriander leaves.
This Vegetable & Red Bean Pilau recipe makes a deliciously different, low-calorie one-pot meal.
PS If you want to you can also garnish with onions sliced and fried until brown and fried sliced almonds but it is less healthy (LOL)