Ingredients for Marrow Soup:
- 1 marrow
- 2 onions
- garlic (optional, use as much as you like)
- any other unused vegetables lurking in the fridge
- stock (fresh or a cube) – amount dependent on size of marrow but at least 2 pints
Method for Marrow Soup:
- Chop and de-seed marrow, chop other vegetables, saute in butter or olive for 5 minutes, add stock and season with salt, pepper and mixed herbs.
- When everything is cooked through cool and liquidise. The marrow makes the soup quite creamy but you can swirl in some cream if desired. Add a little chilli sauce to spice up the soup.
- Another variation is to chop the vegetables into quite small pieces and cook in the same way, but do not liquidise or add cream, instead add some cooked rice or soup noodles/mini pasta.
This recipe is great for the pumpkin flesh usually wasted at Halloween also Jerusalem artichokes. Subtle flavor and texture differences.
Just made this soup, so simple and so delicious. Will definately make it again.
Am a professional chef (35 years) never knew what to do with a marrow!
Followed recipe and added cooked veg from the fridge plus home-made chicken
stock and 250 mls double cream..delicious
I have had a large marrow staring at me for weeks,which my mum gave me because it was growing across her garden path and was in danger of tripping up the postman (mum gardens potager style). I had a Google and came across this recipe. 45 minutes later we were tucking in! I decided not to liquidise or add pasta or rice but to eat it with big chunks of fresh wholegrain bread. Instead of chili sauce I put a pinch of dried crushed chilis in at the saute stage. Will definitely use this recipe again but liquidise as suggested. Thank you.
Can you freeze this soup
Yes but don’t swirl in any cream.
When a friend gave me two large marrows I had no idea what to do with them until I found your website. Thank you for stopping me throwing them away.
Tried this soup as we had a glut of marrows this year on the allotment. Wondered if it would be a bit bland, but it is absolutely fabulous!! I also had loads of chilli’s in the greenhouse so added a couple of these too. Delicious recipe, thank you!!!
Just made this recipe adding some cumin and saffron and my fresh herbs together with one sweet potato, one carrot and one small potato. I decided to blend half and keep the remaining whole and wow absolutely delicious! Definitely one for my recipe book. Thank you.