This Date and Orange Loaf Recipe was one of the first things that I made John several centuries ago and we’ve just found it on a piece of very faded paper in an unused saucepan for some reason!
I’ve noticed that my handwriting was a lot neater in those days.
A light moist loaf cake with a hint of citrus.
Ingredients for Date and Orange Loaf:
- 8 oz chopped dates
- 6 oz soft brown sugar
- 4 fl. oz water
- Grated rind of 1 orange
- 8 oz self-raising flour
- 3 oz margarine (or butter)
- 1 egg
- 1 rounded teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
Method for Date and Orange Loaf:
- Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 4 (350F/180C)
- Grease a loaf tin 8 ½” x 4″ (2 ½ pints)
- Put dates and water into a saucepan, simmer gently until pulpy.
- Add sugar, stir until dissolved.
- Remove from heat, add margarine (or butter), beat well.
- Add grated orange rind and juice.
- Cool for a few minutes then beat in the egg.
- Sieve flour and cinnamon together and add a little at a time to date mixture.
- Pour into prepared tin and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes until ready.
I did publish a somehow more complicated orange and date loaf recipe a while ago. Take a look, but I think yours is probably easier and better…
Hi, I love this recipe. I’ve never used this method of cake baking before but it turns out really well. However, I find that it doesn’t need as long as recommended – in my circa-fan oven it only takes around 40 minutes and also unless I cover the top with baking paper, it burns. Great tasting cake though and lovely and moist. Very Christmassy!
Loved this recipe, just the right amount of flavour and texture. I used mixed spice instead of cinnamon. Will definitely be making it again!