Ingredients for Rhubarb Roll:
- Shortcrust pastry made with 8 ozs flour, 4 ozs fat (or ready made packet)
- 4 tablespoons raspberry or strawberry jam
- 1 lb fresh rhubarb, cut into ½” thick slices
- 2 ozs granulated sugar
- ½ pint milk
- Shallow oven-proof dish about 8″ square.
Method for Rhubarb Roll:
- Set oven to Gas no 5, 190C.
- Roll pastry out to about 12″ square.
- Spread with the jam, put the rhubarb on top. sprinkle with all but 1oz of rhe sugar.
- Roll up the pastry, keeping the filling in, to make a large roll – it doesn’t matter if bits poke through the pastry.
- Cut in half and put the halves side by side in a shallow oven-proof dish.
- Slash the tops a few times diagonally.
- Pour the milk over and sprinkle with the rest of the sugar.
- Bake for about 50 minutes or until golden.
The milk and jam makes a lovely fruity sauce
Serve warm with cream or custard.