Ingredients for Tomato and Courgette Glut Soup:
No particular quantities of the following:-
- Fresh tomatoes
- fresh herbs…..especially basil and parsley
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- chicken/veggie stock or stock cube
- a little sugar
Method for Tomato and Courgette Glut Soup:
- Pour boiling water over tomatoes and let stand for about 30 secs. Plunge in cold water and skin them.
- Fry chopped onion and chilli in olive oil until soft. Add chopped courgettes, garlic and squished up tomatoes and cook for a few minutes.
- Pour in enough milk to cover the mixture….about an inch or so over. Add plenty of seasoning ( s and p) and about ½ teaspoon of sugar. Simmer until courgettes are soft.
- Chop herbs and add to soup together with a good slug of cream/crème fraiche/thick yoghurt. Use blender to mix to a smooth texture or put through a sieve.
- Seasoning is very important….don’t skimp on it or you will have a very bland soup. Taste as you go along.
- I add 1 or 2 handfuls of fresh herbs to get maximum flavour.
- I sometimes use sweet peppers too…..depends on what’s ripe at the time!
Garnish for Tomato and Courgette Glut Soup Recipe:-
Fry some smoked bacon/pancetta/boczek/chorizo in a little oil until almost crisp and then add a sliced onion and continue to cook until onion softens. Dump a big spoonful of this into a bowl of the soup!!! Enjoy!!!!!!!!