Ingredients for Tomato and Courgette Glut Soup:
No particular quantities of the following:-
- Fresh tomatoes
- fresh herbs…..especially basil and parsley
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- chicken/veggie stock or stock cube
- a little sugar
Method for Tomato and Courgette Glut Soup:
- Pour boiling water over tomatoes and let stand for about 30 secs. Plunge in cold water and skin them.
- Fry chopped onion and chilli in olive oil until soft. Add chopped courgettes, garlic and squished up tomatoes and cook for a few minutes.
- Pour in enough milk to cover the mixture….about an inch or so over. Add plenty of seasoning ( s and p) and about ½ teaspoon of sugar. Simmer until courgettes are soft.
- Chop herbs and add to soup together with a good slug of cream/crème fraiche/thick yoghurt. Use blender to mix to a smooth texture or put through a sieve.
- Seasoning is very important….don’t skimp on it or you will have a very bland soup. Taste as you go along.
- I add 1 or 2 handfuls of fresh herbs to get maximum flavour.
- I sometimes use sweet peppers too…..depends on what’s ripe at the time!
Garnish for Tomato and Courgette Glut Soup Recipe:-
Fry some smoked bacon/pancetta/boczek/chorizo in a little oil until almost crisp and then add a sliced onion and continue to cook until onion softens. Dump a big spoonful of this into a bowl of the soup!!! Enjoy!!!!!!!!
just taken over an allotment plot and had a great success with growing courgette, still keeps producing so will give your soup recipe a go, also have too many tomatoes………hope it takes as good as it sounds
A great tip for using fresh tomatoes in soups and sauces – the Greek people cut fresh tomatoes in half, scoop all the seeds and liquid out and then grate the inner flesh, leaving only the skin to be discarded. Watch your fingers! This tomato pulp can then be used as described or even frozen as it is to use at a later date. Tried it and it tastes great!
can this soup be frozen?
Yes. Leave the garnish until you defrost.
I just made this soup before coming to work and its amazing. I am really suprised how nice it is. People dont believe I made it. I added red peppers to mine and maybe I should have used a bit less chili but I got carried away. Thanks for the receipe absolutely delicious.
So agree with Emma this is such an amazing soup ..Will make again thank you ..