Ingredients for Rocket and Courgette Soup:
- 2 medium or 3 small courgettes sliced or diced finely
- bunch of spring onions, topped & tailed and sliced finely
- 2 large handfuls of rocket (sorry can’t be more precise!)
- ½ pint vegetable stock (cube, fresh or water from boiled vegetable)
- 1 oz butter
- ½ pint semi skimmed milk, or small carton single cream
- loads of black pepper
- salt to taste
Method for Rocket and Courgette Soup:
- Melt butter in saucepan
- Fry courgettes and onions gently until softened
- Add the rocket and vegetable stock
- Cover pan with lid and simmer for 5 minutes
- Remove from heat, liquidise until smooth, add milk or cream and salt and pepper to taste and warm back through.
This Rocket and Courgette Soup is suitable for vegetarians and by omitting the cream or replacing with an alternative can be made suitable for vegans.
If you liquidise the soup but stop at that point, you can freeze it for later use. Just remember to season and add milk or cream when you come to use it.
Makes two bowls. Serve with croutons floated on top or crusty bread.
Rocket is very easy to grow and will actually self seed and spread like a weed if left to its self.