This dish is simple to prepare, tastes delicious and presents as a good, hearty dish when courgettes are in season.
Ingredients for Penne with Courgette Cream:
- 4 medium courgettes
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- 150mls (½ cup) cream
- 150mls (½ cup) milk
- 300g (11oz) penne pasta, cooked
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese, or similar
- ¼ cup grated emmental cheese, or similar
- freshly chopped basil, oregano or plain-leaf parsley to taste
- few drops of Maggi seasoning – salt and pepper to taste
Method for Penne with Courgette Cream:
- Cut the courgettes in half length wise, then cut diagonally into 5cm (1¼ inch) slices.
- Sauté the onions in the olive oil until transparent. Add the garlic, courgettes, salt and pepper and continue cooking with lid on until the courgettes are firm but cooked through. Remove the lid and add the Maggi seasoning, cream and milk and simmer, uncovered, for a few minutes. Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Finally, add the cooked pasta, cheese and basil, oregano or parsley. Stir until well combined. Serve immediately.
This dish can be served as an appetiser or as a main course. Any left over can be refrigerated and simply reheated.
Note: Maggi seasoning is available from delis, Asian shops and even some supermarkets.