Perfect for sharing over an afternoon tea! It has a wonderful, light texture and very fresh taste.
Ingredients for Lavender Tea Cake:
- 180ml milk
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh lavender
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 250g plain flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Method for Lavender Tea Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 170 C / Gas mark 3. Grease and flour a 23 x 13cm loaf tin.
- Combine the milk and lavender in a small saucepan over medium heat. Heat to a simmer, then remove from heat, and allow to cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg until the mixture is light and fluffy. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir into the creamed mixture alternately with the milk and lavender until just blended. Pour into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a skewer inserted into the crown of the loaf comes out clean. Cool in the tin on a wire rack.