Ingredients for Vegetable Pasty:
- 350 g (12 oz) shortcrust pastry
- 8 oz (225 g) potatoes
- salt and pepper
- 1 onion
- 8 oz (225 g) mixed vegetables, e.g. carrots, peas, beans etc.
Method for Vegetable Pasty:
- Peel or prepare all the vegetables, cutting the root vegetables into small cubes.
- Put the vegetables into water and bring to the boil, simmer for 10 minutes, then drain well and season.
- Divide the pastry into four pieces and roll each piece into a circle about 20 cm (8 in) across. Divide the vegetables between the pastry rounds, dampen the edges and draw the edges of the pastry together to form a seam across the top; pinch the edges together with your ringers to give a fluted edge.
- Place on a baking tray and cook at the top of the oven for 15 minutes at 200°C, 400°F, mark 6, then reduce the heat to 180°C, 350°F, mark 4 and bake for a further 45 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold.
As well as ordinary shortcrust pastry you can try this recipe with a cheese pastry
Depending how you make the pastry, this recipe is suitable for vegetarians.
Pastry Making Information
These guides compliment our recipes section. Basic guide to making pastry - for individual types of pastry, see below. Pastry Ingredients: Flour for Pastry Making: Use good quality flour for pastry making if you can. It should be quite dry...
These pastry making guides compliment our recipes section. Cheese pastry is used for cheese biscuits and straws, savoury tarts, pies, flans and turnovers. It works well with a strong cheese, such as a mature cheddar or a blue cheese such as Stilton...
These pastry making guides compliment our recipes section. Shortcrust pastry is the most common type of pastry and very easy to make though it does need to be kept cool and handled as little as possible. Use for sweet and savoury flans, pies, tarts...