Easy Pasta Tomato Sauce Recipe Submitted by home made pie
This is a very simple and easy sauce, relying on good quality ingredients to produce a great result. Home growers can select tomatoes with better flavour than shop bought like San Marzano.
Ingredients for Pasta Tomato Sauce:
- 1 good handful of tomatoes
- 1 sweet pepper
- 1 chilli (optional if you like it spicy)
- 1 onion
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves
- some basil leaves
Method for Pasta Tomato Sauce:
- Chop up all the above home grown produce to roughly the size of a pea.
- Season with salt and black pepper
- Roast at 160 degrees in some olive oil until all nicely softened
- Transfer to a pan on the hob and pick out the tomato skins
- Add tomato purée and tinned plum tomatoes (optional but useful to make it go further and makes the sauce more rich tasting)
- Add 1 small teaspoon of sugar
- Continue to cook and adjust seasoning to taste, adding any further ingredients such as a few chopped black olives or thinly sliced mushroom
Serve spooned on top of freshly cooked pasta and finish with parmesan or other strong flavoured grated cheese
You can batch cook this pasta tomato sauce and then freeze in portion sizes for later use.