Ingredients for Jerusalem Artichoke and Carrot Salad :
- 400 g carrots, well scrubbed and trimmed
- 400 g Jerusalem artichokes, well scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or tarragon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or walnut oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- Salt and pepper to taste
Method for Jerusalem Artichoke and Carrot Salad:
- Whisk together the herbs, oil, lemon juice and capers; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Set aside.
- Grate, shred or julienne the carrots and place in a large bowl.
- Thinly slice or julienne the Jerusalem artichokes (or cut into thin matchsticks); add to the carrots, and immediately add the vinaigrette and toss together.
- Cover and let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes, before tossing again and serving.
Delicious with a toasted cheese sandwich or with potatoes.
I think it has to be added: Jerusalem artichokes are not to everybody’s taste. They have an interesting smoky flavour but a remarkable ability to cause gastric upset with some people – hence the nick-name of ‘fartichokes’
You can prepare this salad a few hours in advance and keep in the fridge until need.