Filled Courgette Cake Recipe Submitted by Jennifer
With courgettes in abundance in my grandson’s allotment, I use this recipe for a cake and even my husband eats it and he does not like courgettes.
Ingredients for Filled Courgette Cake:
For the cake:
- 250g courgettes (weighed before grating)
- 2 large eggs
- 125 ml sunflower oil
- 150 g caster sugar
- 225g self raising flour
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 x 21cm sandwich tins, greased and lined
For the Courgette Cake filling:
- 200g cream cheese
- 100g icing sugar sieved
- Juice and finely grated zest of 1 lime
Method for Filled Courgette Cake:
- Coarsely grate whole courgettes and turn into a sieve to remove excess moisture.
- Put oil, eggs and sugar into bowl and whisk them until creamy. Sieve in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder and continue to whisk until well mixed.
- Stir in the grated courgette and pour mixture into tins. Bake for 30 minutes until firm to the touch and slightly brown. Leave in their tins for a few minutes and then cool on a wire rack.
- To make the filling combine the cream cheese, sieved icing sugar, lime juice and zest. Fill cake when cool, refrigerate and dust with icing sugar just before serving.