A simple braised leeks and carrots recipe.
Ingredients for Braised Leeks and Carrots:
- 1 lb (450g) leeks (about 4)
- 8 ozs (225g) carrots
- 1 medium sized onion
- 2 or 3 sprigs of parsley
- 2 bay-leaves
- ½ pint (300 ml) vegetable stock
- 2 eggs
- ½ pint (300 ml) whole or semi-skimmed milk
Method for Braised Leeks and Carrots:
- Remove most of the green parts of the leeks and discard any coarse outer leaves. Wash thoroughly under cold running water.
- Cut each leek into lengths of around 3 inches (8cms).
- Wash and dice the carrots.
- Finely chop the onion and parsley.
- Rub a shallow casserole dish with butter and add the carrots, onion and parsley. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Put the leeks evenly on top of the other vegetables with a bay-leaf at each end (so that they can be removed later).
- Pour over the vegetable stock and cover.
- Cook in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 4 (350°F/180°C) for about 30 minutes.
- Beat the eggs into the milk, add a little salt. Remove the casserole from the oven, discard the bay-leaves, and pour the mixture over the leeks.
- Return to the oven without covering for 15 minutes.