A vegetarian stuffed pepper recipe which can be easily modified.
Ingredients for Stuffed Peppers:
- 4 large green peppers
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 4 ozs (112g) long-grain rice, cooked
- 8 ozs (225g) tomatoes, chopped
- 2 sprigs of parsley, chopped finely
- 4 ozs cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 ozs (56g) butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Method for Stuffed Peppers:
- Cut a slice off the top of each pepper, remove centre core and seeds.
- Brush each pepper on the outside with the olive oil and then stand the peppers upright in an oven-proof dish.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and fry the chopped onion gently. Add the tomatoes, rice, parsley, crushed garlic, salt and pepper and combine.
- Pile the mixture into the pepper shells.
- Top each pepper with grated cheese.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 4 (350°F/180°C) until the peppers are tender. Serve hot.
Note: Chopped mushrooms can replace some of the tomatoes in the mixture and the addition of a beaten egg will give a firmer filling.