Carrot Cake Recipe Submitted by Ann
Ingredients for Carrot Cake
- 175g light muscovado sugar
- 175ml sunflower oil
- 3 eggs
- 140g grated carrots (about 3)
- 100g raisins
- Grated zest of a large orange
- 175g SR flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch nutmeg
- 175g icing sugar
- 2 tablespoon orange juice
Method for Carrot Cake:
- Pre-heat oven to 180C/Gas 4.
- Grease and line the base and sides of a 8cm square tin. The easiest way to do this is to cut two long strips the width of the tin and put each strip cross ways covering the base and sides of the tin, with a double layer in the base.
- Put the sugar, oil and eggs into a large mixing bowl. Lightly mix with a wooden spoon, stir in the grated carrots, raisins and orange zest.
- Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda and spices together and then sift into the bowl. Mix well – the mixture will be soft and almost runny.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 45 minutes until it feels firm and springy when pressed in the centre. Cool in the tin for 5mins. Turn it out and peel off the paper. You can freeze the cake at this point – but I am sure you will want to eat it.
- Place the topping ingredients into a mixing bowl and beat together until smooth. The icing should be runny. Place the cake on a serving plate and drizzle the icing over letting it run down the sides.
Carrot Cake Recipe. If you want to freeze it, leave it un-topped and put the topping on when de-frosted. Simple and easy to make.