Plum Jam recipe submitted byGreen man
Ingredients for Plum Jam:
1.5 kg plums
1.25 kg granulated sugar
400 ml water
Method for Plum Jam:
- Halve and stone the plums. you can crack a few of the stones ,get out the inside kernels, put into a basin and cover with boiling water. Leave for a minute or 2 then drain them clean off the reddish brown skin off – it will give the jam an lovely almond like flavour.
- Put the plums, skinned kernels and 400ml of water into a pan. bring to a simmer and cook gently until the fruit is tender and the skin soft. May take 20 minutes depends on the size and variety of the plums.
- Add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Bring to boiling point and boil rapidly until setting point is reached, usually 10 – 12 minutes.
- Take off the heat. If the fruit is bobbing about at the top of the pan then it may not be cooked enough if this happens cook for a few more minutes about 3 – 4.
- Pour into sterilised jars.
There is enough jam for 8 jars about 450g in each or whatever you have.
This jam is lovely on rice puddings or on Ice cream.
I hope you enjoy this jam.
General Information on Jam Making