My Grannies Apple and Rhubarb Chutney Recipe submitted by mumofstig
Ingredients for Apple and Rhubarb Chutney:
- 3 large cooking apples peeled and chopped fine
- 1lb rhubarb chopped
- juice of one lemon
- 1 large chopped onion + 1 chopped garlic clove
- 1lb brown sugar
- ½ lb chopped sultanas
- 1 & ½ teaspoons ginger
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5 teaspoons salt
- ¾ pint vinegar
Method for Apple and Rhubarb Chutney:
- Chop all the fruit and vegetables, add the vinegar, sugar and spices and bring slowly to the boil.
- Simmer for about two hours, stirring occasionally, until thick.
- Pour into sterilised heated jars and seal.
- Leave for a couple of months, somewhere cool and dark, before eating.
The nice thing about this apple and rhubarb chutney is that you can use up those thick, stringy and tough end of season stalks that aren’t very appealing in puddings. The long cooking process of the chutney will tenderise and break them down.
Like most chutneys, kept in properly sterilized and sealed jars this will keep for at least a year in a cool dark place. Once opened, keep in the fridge and try to use within 4 weeks.
General Chutney Making Information