Ingredients for Broad Bean and Bacon Casserole:
- 2 lbs (1 kg) shelled broad beans
- 8 rashers of bacon
- 1 oz (25g) butter
- ½ pint (300 ml) full or semi-skimmed milk
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Salt and coarse grained black pepper
Method for Broad Bean and Bacon Casserole:
- Cook the shelled beans in salted boiling water for about 10 minutes.
- Strain the beans and reserve the liquid.
- Fry the bacon just enough to brown it and remove from the pan.
- Add the butter to the bacon fat, stir in the flour and add ½ pint (300 ml) of the bean water.
- Continue stirring until it thickens and is smooth.
- Season to taste.
- Add the milk, making certain that the mixture does not get too liquidy.
- Put in 1 tablespoon parsley, the broad beans, chopped garlic and the bacon and combine.
- Transfer to a casserole, sprinkle over the other tablespoonful of parsley.
- Transfer to a hot oven and bake for around 30 minutes at Gas Mark 6 (400°F/200°C).
Makes enough for 4 servings.
Lovely with your own broad beans straight from the plot. You can also put some new potatoes in it for a more filling casserole.