A tasty recipe using your home grown vegetables.
Ingredients for Vegetable Layer Casserole:
- 1 lb (450g) potatoes (scrubbed and thinly sliced)
- 8 ozs (225g) onions (chopped and lightly sautéed)
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 8 ozs (225g) carrots (sliced)
- 4 ozs (112g) green beans (sliced)
- 4 ozs (112 g) Cheddar cheese (grated finely)
- 2 eggs
- ½ pint (300ml) semi-skimmed or full milk
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 tomatoes (sliced)
Method for Vegetable Layer Casserole:
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4 (350°F/180°C)
- Grease a 2 pint (1200ml) casserole dish.
- Lightly sauté the onion and crushed garlic in a pan.
- Place a layer of potatoes, onion, carrots, mushrooms, beans and grated cheese in the dish.
- Repeat until all the ingredients are used, finishing with a layer of cheese.
- Beat together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper.
- Pour over the ingredients in the dish.
- Bake for 1 hour until set.
- Garnish with the sliced tomatoes and return to the oven for a further ½ hour.