Ingredients for Basic Focaccia Bread:
- 250 grams of plain flour
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 7 g of fast action yeast
- 4 garlic cloves thinly sliced & chopped
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 150 ml of warm water
Toppings and fillings:
If you wish to put fillings in aka olives put it with the flour, salt and yeast, the added bits will just disappear into the dough as the bread rises.
Method for Basic Focaccia Bread:
- Mix flour salt yeast and garlic into a bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and add olive oil and water.
- Mix thoroughly in to a soft dough.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 10 – 15 mins.
- Put the dough into a bowl with either a tea towel or a plastic carrier bag over the top.
- Leave till it doubles up (about 45 mins)
- Then get the dough and knead for 30 seconds again.
- Roll out into desired shape to about ½ inch thick
- Place the dough onto a greased baking tray and cover with tea towel or greased Clingfilm
- Leave for 30mins till it rises again.
- Preheat oven to gas mark 7.
- Take film/tea towel off dough and make dents in it with your fingers spread about 3 tbsp of oil over the top.
- Place in oven for about 25 mins or till lightly browned. Drizzle about 1 tbsp of olive oil over the top and serve.