Sweet Orange and Chilli Chutney Recipe submitted by Carol
Ingredients for Sweet Orange and Chilli Chutney:
- 500 gm onions – peeled and chopped
- 900 gm apples – peeled, cored and chopped
- 1.8 kgs sweet oranges
- 450 gm of sultanas or raisins
- 1 tblsp salt
- 2 tblsp ground ginger
- 1 tblsp cayenne (or chopped dried chillis)
- 1.7ltrs vinegar
- 900gms of sugar
Method for Sweet Orange and Chilli Chutney:
- Put onions in a pan with water and boil for 10 minutes. Add chopped apples, cook for 15 minutes.
- Peel oranges with a vegetable peeler and then remove pith with a sharp knife.
- Slice peel into stripes with a sharp knife. Put peel and remaining orange pulp through a mincer or blender.
- Add to pan of apples and onions.
- Add salt, spices and half the vinegar.
- Simmer for 1 hour until the peel is tender.
- Add the rest of the sugar and vinegar and heat and stir until all the sugar is dissolved and mix is thickened.
- Bottle in normal way in sterilised jars
A clever balance of the orange sweetness and chilli heat in this unusual chutney.
Like most chutneys, kept in properly sterilized and sealed jars this will keep for at least a year in a cool dark place. Once opened, keep in the fridge and try to use within 4 weeks.
General Chutney Making Information