A low-fat, moist cake using soya and rice flours. Nice served as a pudding with soya yoghurt.
Ingredients for Wheat-Free Apple Layer Cake:
- 6oz/200g/1 and a half cups of rice flour
- 2oz/50g/scant cup soya flour
- 4oz/125g/half cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon wheat free raising agent
- 2 large eating apples (peeled, cored and thinly sliced)
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup of apple juice
- 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil
- a few drops of vanilla extract (optional)
- dash of vinegar
- brown granulated sugar for sprinkling on top
Method for Wheat-Free Apple Layer Cake :
- Mix the dry ingredients together then add the water, juice, oil,vanilla and mix well.
- Add the vinegar and stir. Pour half the cake batter into a greased square cake tin (9×9 inches or 20×20 cm approx. works well).
- Spread the apple slices evenly over the batter and then top with the remaining mixture and sprinkle with the brown sugar.
- Bake in an oven pre-heated to 180c/360F for about 40 minutes or until firm.
Says feeds about, depending on how greedy you are!