Makes a lovely Christmas gift and, if you’re not a huge fan of jams, a good way to use up some plums.
Goes well with a ploughman’s lunch and most cold cuts of meat.
Ingredients for Spiced Plum Chutney:
- 1.5kg plums
- 500g cooking apples
- 2 oranges
- 200g dried figs finely chopped
- 100g dried cranberries
- 1tsp ground ginger
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 300ml red wine vinegar
- 500g demerara sugar
Method for Spiced Plum Chutney:
- Halve the plums and remove the stone.
- Peal core and dice the apples.
- Finely grate the zest from the oranges and squeeze the juice into a large pan with the plums and diced apples.
- Add the figs, cranberries and spices, along with vinegar and sugar, stir until sugar has dissolved.
- Simmer until thick and syrupy.
- Allow to cool slightly and pour into sterilised jars, seal and label.
- Leave for a few weeks to mature before eating.
Like most chutneys, kept in properly sterilized and sealed jars this will keep for at least a year in a cool dark place. Once opened, keep in the fridge and try to use within 4 weeks.
General Chutney Making Information