Ingredients for Bortsch (Beetroot Soup):
- 1 large onion
- 1 lb beetroot
- 1 lb potatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 pints vegetable stock or beetroot cooking liquid
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Pinch of chopped chives
- 6 fl oz thick plain yoghurt or soured cream
Method for Bortsch (Beetroot Soup):
- Cook the beetroot in a saucepan of salted water, bring to the boil and then simmer until tender. Allow to cool, peel and chop.
- Peel and chop the onion and potatoes and sauté in the oil, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes.
- Crush the garlic cloves and add to the sautéed onions and potatoes and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock, chopped beetroot, lemon juice and salt and pepper, bring back to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly and then put through a liquidiser until smooth.
- Reheat before serving, pour into bowls and garnish with a swirl of the yoghurt or sour cream and the chopped chives.
Makes approximately 6 servings.