Ingredients for Vegetable Curry:
Vegetables as required and available
- 2 tablespoonfuls olive oil
- 1 onion
- ½ apple
- 1 dessert spoon curry powder
- 1 tomato
- Ground cinnamon, a pinch
- 2 teaspoons red currant jelly (optional)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 bay leaf
- Tomato purée
- 2 tablespoons chutney
- Seasoning to taste.
Method for Vegetable Curry:
- Chop the onion and slice the apple.
- Simmer the onion in the olive oil without browning it, after two minutes add the sliced apple and cook for about five minutes.
- Add the flour and brown it gently, then add the curry powder and cook slowly for a few minutes.
- Add the bay leaf and work in the tomato, tomato purée, cinnamon and chutney, also the red currant jelly if this is being used.
- Season to taste adding a few grains of cayenne pepper.
- Remove from the heat and very slowly stir in ¾ pint warm water.
- Simmer until the desired consistency is reached.
- In the meantime parboil a selection of vegetables, the mixture as you please, such as French beans, diced carrots, sprigs of cauliflower, new potatoes and cucumber.
- Drain these and strain the curry sauce over them, finish cooking in the sauce.
Serve with dry boiled rice – placing the curry at one end of a plate and the rice at the other. (This sauce can be used for almost all curries).
This recipe originally appeared in the National Vegetable Society Bulletin