Pepper and Tomato Tart can be served hot or cold. Cold slices make a welcome addition to a picnic basket or around the patio table on a sunny afternoon. Warm it can be served with baby new potatoes and a salad as a main course to a meal.
Ingredients for Pepper and Tomato Tart:
- 10 oz (280 g) shortcrust pastry
- 2 medium red peppers
- 1 medium green pepper
- 1 lb (450 g) tomatoes
- 1 large onion
- 2 or 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 oz (28 g) butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 eggs
- ½ pint (285 ml) full or semi-skimmed milk
- 2 oz (56 g) fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper.
Method for Pepper and Tomato Tart:
- Roll out the pastry and use to line a 10″ (20 cm) buttered flan dish. Prick the base and put in the fridge for about 15 minutes.
- Peel and chop the onion finely, crush the garlic and saute them gently in the butter and oil in a large pan.
- De-seed and chop the peppers into slices and add to the onions. Continue cooking for about 15 minutes until the peppers are tender.
- Beat the egg and milk together in a basin and stir in the breadcrumbs.
- Peel and roughly chop the tomatoes. Stir into the egg mixture along with the peppers, Parmesan and seasoning to taste.
- Pour into the pastry case and cook in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 5 (190°C/375°F) for about 45 minutes until the filling has set.
Alternatively use the pastry to line two smaller flan dishes (7″/18 cm) and divide the mix between them.