Ingredients for Rhubarb Tart:
- 1 lb (450 g) rhubarb
- 6 oz (170 g) sweetened shortcrust pastry
- 4 oz (112 g) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons single cream
- Grated rind of ½ a lemon
Method for Rhubarb Tart:
- Roll out the pastry and use it to line a 8″ (20.5 cm) flan dish or tin.
- Prick the bottom of the case with a fork. Cover the base with a circle of greased paper and put bread crusts or hard beans on the paper.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 6 (400°F/200°C) for about 20 minutes. Remove from the flan dish or ring, discard the paper and beans 5 minutes before the flan case has finished cooking.
- Whilst the flan case is cooking, wash and cut the rhubarb into ½” (1 cm) lengths. If it is young rhubarb, there’s no need to stew it before adding to the flan case. If on the tough side, stew for a while in the minimum amount of water and retain the fluid to add to the egg/sugar mix.
- Arrange the rhubarb in the flan case.
- Beat together the eggs, sugar, lemon rind and cream in a bowl and spoon over the rhubarb.
- Cook in pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 5 (190°C/375°F) for 35 to 45 minutes until golden and the rhubarb is tender.
Pastry Making Help & Information
These guides compliment our recipes section. Basic guide to making pastry - for individual types of pastry, see below. Pastry Ingredients: Flour for Pastry Making: Use good quality flour for pastry making if you can. It should be quite dry...
These pastry making guides compliment our recipes section. Cheese pastry is used for cheese biscuits and straws, savoury tarts, pies, flans and turnovers. It works well with a strong cheese, such as a mature cheddar or a blue cheese such as Stilton...
These pastry making guides compliment our recipes section. Shortcrust pastry is the most common type of pastry and very easy to make though it does need to be kept cool and handled as little as possible. Use for sweet and savoury flans, pies, tarts...