Recipe for Chocolate and Beetroot Cake sent in by: Granny Dumplin
Ingredients for Chocolate and Beetroot Cake:
- 1 ½ ozs cocoa powder
- 4 ½ ozs plain flour
- 1 ½ tsps baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 5 ½ ozs caster sugar
- 8 ½ fl ozs corn oil
- 1 ½ tsps vanilla essence
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1 pack or (9oz) cooked beetroot, puréed
- 4oz good quality plain dark chocolate (60% +), broken into small pieces
Method for Chocolate and Beetroot Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 375F/190C/Gas 5 and grease a (7″) round cake tin.
- Sift the cocoa, flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and mix with the sugar.
- Add the oil, vanilla essence, eggs, beetroot and chocolate pieces and mix well.
- Pour into the cake tin, put on a baking tray and bake for 50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
A simple and easy to make Chocolate and Beetroot Cake that is lovely and moist. It doesn’t taste of beets (promise).