Recipe for Spicy Beets & Carrots sent in by: Granny Dumplin
Ingredients for Spicy Beets & Carrots
- 1 lb beetroot, cooked and peeled
- 1 lb carrots, peeled
- 2 tbls grated fresh ginger
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground mace
Method for Spicy Beets & Carrots:
- Cut the beetroot and carrots into slices or chunks.
- Steam or boil the carrots in lightly salted water about 5 minutes or until tender but not soft and drain.
- Combine the ginger, sugar, orange juice, vinegar, orange zest and spices in a saucepan and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Cook until thickened. Simmer the cooked beets and carrots in this sauce for about 5 minutes before serving.
Beetroot and carrots combined with aromatic spices turn mundane vegetables into a real gourmet dish