Ingredient for Pickled Beetroot:
- Spiced Vinegar
Method for Pickled Beetroot:
- Wash the beetroot carefully without rubbing the skin.
- Cook gently in a large pan, covering the beetroot with water, until tender (the length of time will depend on the size of the beetroot).
- Allow to cool and then rub off the skins.
- Baby beetroots can be pickled whole. Large beetroot can be cut into slices of about ¼” or diced into cubes.
- Pack into clean, sterilized, jars and cover with cold spiced vinegar.
- Seal and label with date and contents.
Note: You can use boiling spiced vinegar instead – this makes the storage life longer and it retains the colour.
For More Information on Pickles & Vinegars
Pickles can range from a simple single ingredient pickle to a complex mixed pickle like Piccalilli. The final flavour, especially with the simple pickles, will depend heavily on the vinegar used. See our article on Making Spiced & Flavoured Vinegars,...
Relishes tend to be half way between a chutney and a pickle in that, though they use the same kinds of fruits and vegetables, the finished texture is different. The fruit or vegetables are cut into small pieces or coarsely chopped and a combination of...
Spiced Vinegar A lot of pickles and relishes are preserved in spiced vinegars. The spices used vary enormously according to the recipe and to individual taste. We've listed below examples of the most common combinations. You can buy ready spiced or...