Ingredients for Pickled Onions:
- 3 lb (1.4 kg) pickling onions or shallots
- 1 lb (450 g) salt
- 2½ pints (1.4 litres) water
- Approx 1 pint (570 ml) Spiced Vinegar
Method for Pickled Onions:
- Make a brine by boiling the water and salt together in a pan until all the salt has dissolved. Leave until quite cold before using.
- Put the onions, unpeeled, into the brine and soak for 24 hours, using a plate or something similar to keep the onions below the surface of the brine.
- Drain and peel.
- Put into fresh brine and leave to soak again for a day or two.
- Rinse well.
- Pack into clean, sterilized jars and cover with cold spiced vinegar.
- Cover and label with contents and date.
Note: Leave for a couple of months before using. If you want a sweeter pickled onion, add a teaspoon of sugar to each jar of onions.
Pickled onions, kept in properly sterilized and sealed jars, should keep for a year in a cool dark place. Once opened, keep in the fridge and try to use within 4 weeks.
For More Information on Pickles & Vinegars