This Chilled Garlic Soup Recipe serves 6 people and is delicious, although it sounds very unlikely, given the ingredients.
No cooking required and prepares a day ahead. Have made half quantity and it works fine.
Ingredients for Chilled Garlic Soup:
- 200gms stale white breadcrumbs, no crust.
- 800 ml cold water
- 15 grams fresh garlic sliced.
- 150ml good olive oil
- 150gms ground almonds
- 3-4 tbsp wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
Method for Chilled Garlic Soup:
- Soak the bread in half the water for about 15 minutes, put it into a blender jug- food processor just doesn’t do this as efficiently – add the garlic and half the oil and the almonds.
- Blend on high for about 3 minutes until it becomes silky smooth. Add in the rest of the water and the vinegar and salt. Blend again. That’s all there is to it!
- Chill overnight and before serving add a drop more water if necessary to give a creamy but not gloopy consistency. Add more vinegar to taste if liked.
Serve with croutons or cubed cucumber or green pepper or seedless grapes and a drizzle of oil.
You can use half the water only and then the soup becomes a lovely dip! Also be careful to use skinned almonds.