Microwave Green Tomato Chutney Recipe Submitted by Chris
This is a good recipe as it is cooked in the microwave and not for hours in a preserving pan on the hob. Like all chutneys it is best kept for a few months to mature and mellow.
Ingredients for Microwave Green Tomato Chutney:
- 12 oz green tomatoes, chopped
- 12 oz cooking apples , peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 oz raisins
- 4 oz dates, chopped
- 4 oz dried ready to eat apricots, chopped
- 2 tspns salt
- 2 tspns mixed spice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 8 oz soft dark brown sugar
- three quarters of a pint spiced malt vinegar
Method for Microwave Green Tomato Chutney:
- Place tomatoes, apples and onion in a large bowl, cover and cook on high for 10 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking.
- Stir in raisins, dates, apricots, salt, spice, garlic, sugar and vinegar.
- Cook for 30 minutes, stirring several times.
- Spoon into warm sterilized jars and seal. Label when cold.
- Keep for 3 months to mature before eating.
Yield approx 3 LB. Microwave on Full Power – Timings may vary according to microwave power output
General Chutney Making Information
Chutneys - How to Make Chutney
Chutneys originated in India – the name derived from the Hindu word chatni . They then came back to Britain with explorers where they were a hit and are now a very popular preserve all over the world. The scope of chutneys is endless and t...
My wife makes a ripe tomato chutney using a few ripe tomatos skinned or unskinned in a frying pan with some garlic and chopped onion, with or without basil and she makes it delicious. Usually served with sausage or basically any meat.
I prefer to soak the tomatoes in boiling water to remove the skins. Your recipe is great I am going to make it am tomorrow 14TH valentines day and serve this with bangers for our breakfast.
Can I substitute any thing else in place of the raisins and dates ?