This Green Tomato Cake Recipe is an interesting way to use up some of those extra green tomatoes before frost hits.
It produces a moist, deliciously spiced cake that serves 12.
Ingredients for Green Tomato Cake :
- 1lb 4oz sugar
- 9oz lard (or shortening)
- 3 medium eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1 lb plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 oz chopped walnuts
- 6 oz raisins
- 1 lb diced green tomatoes
- Coconut for dressing if required
Method for Green Tomato Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350f/160c.
- In mixing bowl beat sugar, lard, eggs and vanilla until smooth and creamy.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg; slowly beat into egg mixture. Blend well.
- Stir in walnuts, raisins and tomatoes.
- Pour into greased 9×13 inch cake tin. Top with coconut if desired.
- Bake for one hour or until cake tester comes out clean.