A lovely breakfast marmalade, makes a good side dish with curry and brilliant with cheese.
Ingredients for Green Tomato Marmalade :
- 3 lb green tomatoes,
- 3 large, thin skinned sweet oranges,
- Juice of two large lemons,
- 3 lb sugar
Method for Green Tomato Marmalade:
- Wash the tomatoes and oranges, slice them finely.
- Tie any of the citrus pips loosely in a muslin bag.
- Put all the fruit, juice and pips in a bowl, add the sugar and leave for 24 hours.
- After this place all in a pan, bring to the boil and then simmer gently until the tomatoes are tender and the marmalade is quite thick
- Remove the bag of pips, squeeze all juice back into the pan.
- Pot into sterilised jars and cover.
Lovely breakfast marmalade, makes a good side dish with curry, brilliant with cheese.
For More Information on Marmalade Making
These articles cover the basic methods and rules for making jams, jellies and marmalades. Once you have mastered these, it is far easier to adapt and alter recipes for your own tastes. The first people to record some of their methods were the Romans...