An easy to make traditional bread pudding recipe. Makes 9 squares so should serve 9! Serve on its own or with custard or cream/ice cream.
Ingredients for Traditional Bread Pudding:
- 1 large unsliced white loaf
- ½ pint cold water
- 4oz butter
- 4oz soft dark brown sugar
- 2 tbs black treacle
- 6oz currants
- 6oz sultanas
- 6oz raisins
- 3oz minced chopped peel
- 3 eggs well beaten
- Finely grated rind of orange
- 2 tps Caster sugar
Method for Traditional Bread Pudding:
- Remove and discard the crusts from the bread then cut the hole loaf into small cubes.
- Put in a large mixing bowl with water and leave to stand for 30 minutes.
- Drain the water then add the remaining ingredients bar the caster sugar.
- Mix thoroughly then spoon into the prepared tin and spread evenly.
- Bake in the centre of the oven 190°C for 1 ½ hours until firm to touch.
- Remove bread pudding from the oven and carefully turn onto wire rack to cool.
- Sprinkle with the caster sugar.
- Cut into squares when cold.
There are dozens if not hundreds of variations on bread pudding with TV chefs all making their own versions. This Traditional Bread Pudding is a good standard to base your own recipe on.