- 4 lbs (2 kg) ripe tomatoes
- 2lbs (1 kg) onions
- 2 medium sized peppers, red or yellow
- 1 oz (25 g) salt
- 8 oz (250 g) granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 16 fl oz (450 ml) white wine vinegar
Peel and finely chop the tomatoes and onions. Mix together in a bowl, sprinkle with the salt and leave overnight if possible.
Next day put the tomatoes and onions into a sieve or colander, rinse with cold running water and drain well.
De-seed and finely chop the peppers.
Mix the peppers, mustard seeds, drained tomatoes and onions in a bowl.
Bring the vinegar to the boil and stir in the sugar until dissolved, add the contents of the bowl and simmer for 10 minutes.
Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal.
Makes about 4 lbs (2 kg) of relish.