An easy way to preserve the taste of summer.
Ingredients for Tomato and Pepper Relish:
- 4 lbs (2 kg) ripe tomatoes
- 2lbs (1 kg) onions
- 2 medium sized peppers, red or yellow
- 1 oz (25 g) salt
- 8 oz (250 g) granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 16 fl oz (450 ml) white wine vinegar
Method for Tomato and Pepper Relish:
- Peel and finely chop the tomatoes and onions. Mix together in a bowl, sprinkle with the salt and leave overnight if possible.
- Next day put the tomatoes and onions into a sieve or colander, rinse with cold running water and drain well.
- De-seed and finely chop the peppers.
- Mix the peppers, mustard seeds, drained tomatoes and onions in a bowl.
- Bring the vinegar to the boil and stir in the sugar until dissolved, add the contents of the bowl and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal.
Makes about 4 lbs (2 kg) of relish.
More on Making Relish Preserves
Relishes tend to be half way between a chutney and a pickle in that, though they use the same kinds of fruits and vegetables, the finished texture is different. The fruit or vegetables are cut into small pieces or coarsely chopped and a combination of...
These articles on methods of making preserves cover both sweet preserves like fruit curds and savoury relishes and pickles. In our modern world with 24 hour shopping, cans in the cupboard and a deep freeze full of ready meals, it's hard to imagine...