Ingredients for Cauliflower and Tomato Pickle:
- 2 medium-sized cauliflowers
- 1½ lb (675 g) firm tomatoes
- 4 medium-sized onions
- 1 medium-sized cucumber
- 6 oz (175 g) salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 oz (225 g) soft brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pickling spice
- 1 pint (570 ml) white wine vinegar
Method for Cauliflower and Tomato Pickle:
- Separate cauliflowers into florets.
- Quarter the tomatoes.
- Peel and coarsely chop the onions.
- Peel and coarsely chop the cucumber.
- Arrange the vegetables into layers in a large deep dish, sprinkling equal amounts of salt on each layer.
- Pour over just enough cold water to cover the vegetables.
- Cover the dish and leave it to stand overnight.
- Place the vegetables into a large colander and rinse them thoroughly under cold running water to remove excess salt. Allow to drain.
- Put the vegetables into a large saucepan.
- Sprinkle over the mustard, ginger, pepper, sugar and pickling spices.
- Pour over the vinegar.
- Bring to the boil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, strain off the cooking liquid into a jug and pack the vegetables into clean, hot, sterilized jars.
- Pour in enough of the cooking liquid to fill each jar.
- Cover immediately but leave labelling with contents and date until fully cool.
Makes about 2.3. kg (5 lbs) of Cauliflower and Tomato Pickle. Ready to eat in about 4 weeks.
This pickle, kept in properly sterilized and sealed jars, should keep for a year in a cool dark place. Once opened, keep in the fridge and try to use within 4 weeks.
For More Information on Pickles