Ingredients for Cauliflower and Tomato Pickle:
- 2 medium-sized cauliflowers
- 1½ lb (675 g) firm tomatoes
- 4 medium-sized onions
- 1 medium-sized cucumber
- 6 oz (175 g) salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 oz (225 g) soft brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pickling spice
- 1 pint (570 ml) white wine vinegar
Method for Cauliflower and Tomato Pickle:
- Separate cauliflowers into florets.
- Quarter the tomatoes.
- Peel and coarsely chop the onions.
- Peel and coarsely chop the cucumber.
- Arrange the vegetables into layers in a large deep dish, sprinkling equal amounts of salt on each layer.
- Pour over just enough cold water to cover the vegetables.
- Cover the dish and leave it to stand overnight.
- Place the vegetables into a large colander and rinse them thoroughly under cold running water to remove excess salt. Allow to drain.
- Put the vegetables into a large saucepan.
- Sprinkle over the mustard, ginger, pepper, sugar and pickling spices.
- Pour over the vinegar.
- Bring to the boil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, strain off the cooking liquid into a jug and pack the vegetables into clean, hot, sterilized jars.
- Pour in enough of the cooking liquid to fill each jar.
- Cover immediately but leave labelling with contents and date until fully cool.
Makes about 2.3. kg (5 lbs) of Cauliflower and Tomato Pickle. Ready to eat in about 4 weeks.
This pickle, kept in properly sterilized and sealed jars, should keep for a year in a cool dark place. Once opened, keep in the fridge and try to use within 4 weeks.
For More Information on Pickles
Pickles - How to Make Pickles
Pickles can range from a simple single ingredient pickle to a complex mixed pickle like Piccalilli. The final flavour, especially with the simple pickles, will depend heavily on the vinegar used. See our article on Making Spiced & Flavoured Vinegars,...
Relishes - How to Make Relishes at Home
Relishes tend to be half way between a chutney and a pickle in that, though they use the same kinds of fruits and vegetables, the finished texture is different. The fruit or vegetables are cut into small pieces or coarsely chopped and a combination of...
How long will the cauliflower and tomato pickle last
It will be ready in 4 to 6 weeks and will keep for at least 12 months if stored correctly.