Ingredients for Peach Pickle:
- 5 lb (2.3 kg) peaches
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon allspice berries
- 3″ (7.5 cm) cinnamon stick
- 2″ (5 cm) root ginger
- Rind of half a lemon
- 2 lb sugar (900 g) sugar
- 1 pint (570 ml) white wine vinegar
Method for Peach Pickle:
- Peel, stone and half or quarter the peaches, depending on size.
- Tie the cloves, allspice, cinnamon, ginger and lemon rind in a muslin bag.
- Put the sugar and vinegar into a large stainless steel or enamelled pan and heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring the syrup to the boil, add the peaches and bag of spices.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes or until the peaches are just soft.
- Remove the peaches using a slotted spoon and pack them into clean, hot, sterilized jars.
- Boil the syrup until it has reduced by about one third.
- Discard the bag of spices and pour the syrup over the peaches, allowing the syrup to penetrate through.
- If necessary add more syrup until the jars are full.
- Cover and seal.
- Label with contents and date once the jars are fully cool.
Makes around 5 lb (2.3 kg). Peach pickle, kept in properly sterilized and sealed jars, should keep for a year in a cool dark place. Once opened, keep in the fridge and try to use within 4 weeks.
Note: If there is any syrup left over bottle it, as the peaches may need topping up during storage.
For More Information on Pickles
Pickles - How to Make Pickles
Pickles can range from a simple single ingredient pickle to a complex mixed pickle like Piccalilli. The final flavour, especially with the simple pickles, will depend heavily on the vinegar used. See our article on Making Spiced & Flavoured Vinegars,...
Looking forward to preparing fruit preserves. Recipes look simple for me to follow. VAL