Ingredients for Orange Jelly Marmalade:
- 2 lbs (900 g) Seville or sweet oranges
- 2 lemons
- 7 pints (4.2 litres)water
- 1 lb (450 g) sugar per pint (570 ml) of juice extracted
Method for Orange Jelly Marmalade:
- Wash and dry the fruit. Cut in half and squeeze out the juice. Remove the pips, inside skin and pith.
- Cut the peel finely.
- Tie about a ½ of the shredded peel in a piece of muslin along with the pips, inside skin and pith..
- Put the remainder of the peel in a large bowl with the muslin bag of peel/pips etc. and the juice. Add 7 pints (4.2 litres) of water and leave to soak overnight.
- Turn into a preserving pan, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 1½-2 hours, removing the muslin bag after it has cooked for 1¼ hours and remove the shredded peel and rinse in cold water.
- Test the contents of the preserving pan for pectin.
- Turn the contents of the preserving pan into a jelly bag and leave to strain overnight.
- Measure the juice and put into a pan to heat. Add l lb (450 g) of sugar for each pint (570 ml) of juice, stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the shredded peel and bring to the boil and boil rapidly until the marmalade reaches setting point.
- Remove the scum, leave to a cool a little.
- Pot and seal whilst still hot.
Makes about 4 lbs (1.8 kg) of orange jelly marmalade.
The traditional breakfast marmalade flavour without the bits of peel some people dislike.
For More Information on Marmalades