Raspberries usually have enough pectin to ensure a good set.
Ingredients for Raspberry Jam:
- 4 lbs (1.8 kg) raspberries
- 4 lbs (1.8 kg) sugar
Method for Raspberry Jam:
- Wash the fruit if necessary and drain well.
- Put into a preserving pan.
- Simmer until some juice has been extracted.
- Test for pectin.
- Add the sugar, stirring until it has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and boil rapidly for 5-10 minutes until the jam sets when tested.
- Remove the scum and leave to cool slightly so that the fruit will not rise in the jars.
- Pot and seal while still warm.
Makes around 6 lbs (2.7 kg) of jam.
General Information on Jam Making
These articles cover the basic methods and rules for making jams, jellies and marmalades. Once you have mastered these, it is far easier to adapt and alter recipes for your own tastes. The first people to record some of their methods were the Romans...