Ingredients for Lemon Jelly Marmalade:
- 2 lbs (900 g) Lemons
- 6 pints (3.6 litres)water
- 1½ lbs (675 g) sugar per pint (570 ml) of juice extracted
Method for Lemon Jelly Marmalade:
- Wash and dry the fruit. Cut in half and squeeze out the juice. Remove the pips, inside skin and pith.
- Cut the peel finely.
- Tie about a ½ of the shredded peel in a piece of muslin along with the pips, inside skin and pith..
- Put the remainder of the peel in a large bowl with the muslin bag of peel/pips etc. and the juice. Add 6 pints (3.6 litres) of water and leave to soak overnight.
- Turn into a preserving pan, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 1½-2 hours, removing the muslin bag after it has cooked for 1¼ hours and remove the shredded peel and rinse in cold water.
- Test the contents of the preserving pan for pectin.
- Turn the contents of the preserving pan into a jelly bag and leave to strain overnight.
- Measure the juice and put into a pan to heat. Add l ½ lb (675 g) of sugar for each pint (570 ml) of juice, stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the shredded peel and bring to the boil and boil rapidly until the marmalade reaches setting point.
- Remove the scum, leave to a cool a little.
- Pot and seal whilst still hot.
Makes about 4 lbs (1.8 kg|) of lemon jelly marmalade.
A smooth, fresh flavoured marmalade ideal for those who don’t like the little pieces of peel in their marmalade.
For More Information on Marmalades
How to Make Jam, Jellies & Marmalade
These articles cover the basic methods and rules for making jams, jellies and marmalades. Once you have mastered these, it is far easier to adapt and alter recipes for your own tastes. The first people to record some of their methods were the Romans...
Pectin - How to Test for Pectin
Pectin is the main agent that causes jams, jellys and marmalades to set. Pectin is known as a gelling agent. Different fruits contain different amounts of pectin and that pectin level will also vary according to the season and also the ripeness of the...
Leave a Comment Here on Lemon Jelly Marmalade Recipe