This Vegetable Lasagne Recipe is as easy to make if not easier than a meat lasagne dish. Suitable for vegetarians but will appeal even to the carnivores.
Ingredients for Vegetable Lasagne:
- 8 sheets Lasagne Verdi (the no pre-cooking type is the easiest)
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 8 oz (225 g) aubergine
- 8 oz (225 g) courgettes
- 4 oz (112 g) olive oil
- 1 lb (450 g) ripe tomatoes with a little water, or 1 lb tin
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped, or ½ teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped, or ½ teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped, or ½ teaspoon dried
- 2 oz (56 g) butter or margarine
- 2 oz (56 g) flour
- ¾ pint (400 ml) full or semi-skimmed milk
- 3 oz (84 g) parmesan cheese – grated
Method for Vegetable Lasagne:
- Slice the aubergine and courgettes lengthways and lightly sauté in hot oil along with the chopped onion. Drain and put aside.
- Peel and chop the tomatoes and mix with salt, pepper and the herbs. Put into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Boil rapidly until the sauce has thickened.
- In a separate saucepan, melt the butter or margarine, stir in the flour and gradually add the milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens. Simmer for 5 minutes and then stir in the grated Parmesan cheese
- Pour a layer or tomato sauce over the bottom of a greased, shallow oven-proof dish. Arrange a layer of lasagne on top, then a layer of vegetables and cheese sauce. Repeat until everything is used, ending with a layer of cheese sauce. Sprinkle the top with a little more grated Parmesan cheese.
- Cook in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 4 (350°F/180°C) for about 40 minutes until golden brown and the lasagne is tender.
This Vegetable Lasagne Recipe Serves 4. It goes well with a crisp green salad.