Ingredients for Cabbage Soup:
- 1 small cabbage – about ½ lb (225 g)
- 1 medium sized onion
- 1 oz (28 g) butter
- 1 pint chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons soured cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
Method for Cabbage Soup:
- Shred the cabbage finely, wash well and drain.
- Put the butter into a saucepan and heat . Chop the onions finely and fry gently in the butter until soft.
- Add cabbage and stock. Bring to the boil.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat and cover the pan.
- Simmer gently for about 15 minutes.
- Ladle into 4 warm soup bowls and pour a tablespoon of soured cream on each bowl.
- Sprinkle with the parsley.
- Serve immediately very hot.
This easy to make Cabbage Soup Recipe produces 4 portions. It can be frozen for later use if required.
Omit the cream if you are on a diet. Nice with some buttered crusty bread if you’re not!