Ingredients for Sweetcorn and Ham Pie:
- 8 oz (225 g) shortcrust pastry
- 12 oz (340 g) cooked sweet corn kernels
- 3 oz (84 g) ham, chopped
- 4 oz (112 g) cheese, grated (Double Gloucester works well)
- 1 oz (28 g) butter
- 1 oz (28 g) flour
- ½ pint (285 ml) full or semi-skimmed milk
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- 1 hard-boiled egg
Method for Sweetcorn and Ham Pie:
- Roll out two-thirds of the pastry and use to line a 8″ (20 cm) pie plate.
- Melt the butter in a pan, stir in the flour and cook for about 60 seconds.
- Stir in the milk, then heat, stirring, until thickened.
- Add all of the other ingredients, except the egg, and stir until warmed through.
- Place ½ the mixture into the pastry case. Slice the egg and arrange on top. Cover with the remaining filling.
- Roll out the remaining pastry to make a lid.
- Dampen the edges and place the lid over the pie, sealing the edges.
- Trim and flute the edges and decorate the top with shapes made from the pastry trimmings.
- Brush the top with beaten egg and bake in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 6 (200°C/400°F) for half an hour or until golden brown.
This Sweetcorn & Ham Pie Recipe serves 4. Can be eaten hot or cold.
Pastry Making Help & Information
These guides compliment our recipes section. Basic guide to making pastry - for individual types of pastry, see below. Pastry Ingredients: Flour for Pastry Making: Use good quality flour for pastry making if you can. It should be quite dry...
These pastry making guides compliment our recipes section. Cheese pastry is used for cheese biscuits and straws, savoury tarts, pies, flans and turnovers. It works well with a strong cheese, such as a mature cheddar or a blue cheese such as Stilton...
These pastry making guides compliment our recipes section. Shortcrust pastry is the most common type of pastry and very easy to make though it does need to be kept cool and handled as little as possible. Use for sweet and savoury flans, pies, tarts...