Ingredients for Carrot Cake:
- ½ lb (225 g) self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ lb (225 g) unsalted butter, softened, or soft margarine
- ½ lb (225 g) soft brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- ½ lb (225 g) carrots, grated
- 1 orange
- 4 oz (112 g) ground almonds or finely chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Method for Carrot Cake:
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4 (350°F/180°C). Grease a 8″ (20 cm) round deep cake tin and line with baking paper.
- In a bowl cream the butter or margarine and the soft brown sugar until the mixture is pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, if the mixture curdles, beat in a little of the flour.
- Scrub the carrots and coarsely grate them into the batter. Add the grated rind and juice of the orange and the ground almonds or chopped walnuts. Beat until well mixed.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, ground ginger and cinnamon into the bowl and fold into the batter.
- Spoon into the prepared cake tin and bake for about 1 hour, or until the cake is well risen, golden and firm to the touch.
Serves 4 (at least!). Allow to cool slightly and then turn out and slice. Nice still warm with whipped cream. This is yet another alternative recipe for carrot cake.